Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Mathemagic

Videos are a great way to get students interested in Math content that is being presented to them.

TED Talks is a great resource for videos that students can learn from and get them excited about Math.

The video posted below is wonderful for talking about squaring large numbers. In this video we have ‘Mathemagic’ where a gentleman can square large numbers in seconds-it is a fun and interesting video! At the end of the video it shows his process of thinking to solve these questions.







There are many more videos on TED Talks that can be applied to a math lesson.  

4 comments:

  1. I love TED talks! This is such a great video, thanks for sharing!

    Just thought I'd share this link showing some arithmetic tips (believe me, it gets harder as you scroll down the page!):
    http://www.cut-the-knot.org/arithmetic/rapid/rapid.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this video. Teaching students shortcuts would be very beneficial as they do not always have calculators in the real world. To be able to square a 5 digit number is impressive but the ability to square 2 and 3 digit numbers would be beneficial for students to do. His strategy reminds me of the following link where Daniel Tammet recites over 20,000 number of pi. He uses similar strategies of associating numbers with words or colours.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Arlam70bI

    ReplyDelete
  3. TED talks are very insightful! I try to watch them as often as I can.

    This video was very entertaining and would definitely blow students away. Although what he is doing is extremely impressive it is not impossible for other people to do. This just shows what is possible when you truly understand the rules of mathematics. Some people might think 'what is the point in being able to do this?', the applications of this skill to real life would be interesting to hear about, I'm sure they do exist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful TED talk, which I can show my students in class to inspire them.
    This person makes impossible to possible and he's passion in making math fun always inspires me a lot. I need to make students feel that math is something they can do in different ways not always about a subject and marks. I think he did a wonderful job. He challenged himself and amused all of us. I really like this TED talk.

    ReplyDelete