Sunday, October 7, 2018

Symbolab Friend of Foe?

Several of my students have been talking about the Symbolab website and Symbolab app for solving various math problems.  The site covers content in algebra, graphing functions, calculus, geometry, statistics, physics and chemistry.  Students can type in a problem or equation and pick from a list of solutions, complete with step by step instructions and explanations.  It is certainly a helpful tool when struggling to complete homework, but will students use it properly or simply right down solutions? After trying the Symbolab website for myself I have to say I'm impressed with some of its capabilities, however, I'm a little reluctant to recommend it to students because of the ads that keep popping up for dating sites.  Here is a screenshot of the solution provided to me when I typed  2x-y=8  and 3x+y=12 into the search bar. 

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. As you stated, I believe that online tools like these can be great assets when used correctly. I know that I relied on them, perhaps a bit heavily, in certain university courses. However, as you said, there is the possibility and I would say inevitability that students will end up misusing a resource like this one.

    The potential for inappropriate or even borderline ads to be seen on this site is a red flag in terms of recommending it to students. However, in general, I believe that sites like this should NOT be recommended to students in high school for two reasons. The solutions that are given by these types of sites are often a departure from what is being taught as opposed to reinforcing it. Also, in university there are hundreds of students and face time with the teacher and the ability to ask questions is rare. As high school and grade school educators I believe we should have the time to address students or allow them to collaborate on a daily or semi-daily basis. I believe this will lead to a better understanding as opposed to just procuring the answers.

    ReplyDelete