Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Test Anxiety

One of the students that I tutor was talking to me the other day about his upcoming exams, and he was mentioning that he often feels anxiety when writing a test.  I think that this is extremely common, and so I was looking at ways to help him overcome this so that he can do well in his exams.  I found this article in my searches and I think it has a lot of really valuable information.

The article gives ways to better prepare the students for their test.  Learning in test-like conditions and creating practice tests are methods that we all know, but I was interested to see that the author recommended that students work in a bit of exercise before a test (if possible) to lower the effects of adrenaline on the body.  In fact, it's almost helpful for everyone to read this because it gives ways to manage anxiety NOT within a classroom setting.

Did anyone experience classroom anxiety?  And how did you deal with it?

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting that you bring up exercise. I did my Phys-Ed and I had to debate for students getting more than 20 mins of DPA. I found a study that showed students who had 60 mins of DPA which ended up being around 40-60% less instruction time actually did better on the same tests that students who received less than 20 mins/day if they had time for it. The body is an amazing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I got a lot of anxiety with tests especially through university. I am not a fan of written, timed test. This form of testing is not easy for any student. In my opinion, all it shows is how much a person can really remember from the nights before they studied for the test. Tests obviously are for showing what students remember but should it not be for improving students knowledge and reinforce what they have learned? Many projects can be done in replace of timed test that would be of much more benefit for students, especially in getting them to remember information in the long run. Written test are obviously more efficient and can be a big time saver, but at what cost. As teachers are we not to try out best to improve students?

    I also agree with DPA to be a high stress reliever. DPA not only helps reduce anxiety, but can also drain that energy many students need to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete