Thursday, August 8, 2013

What do we need to know?

So news flash, the most common words ever said in a math class are "when am I going to use this is real life?".  So I guess the real question is, when are you going to use it in real life?

I'm not saying that math isn't important, I'm actually saying the exact opposite.  Math dictates our lives in ways that many people don't understand.  That being said, there is something to be said about the fact that there is a certain level of abstraction between math curriculum and the "real world".

So here comes the problem: we (collectively) don't understand the math that, at the end of the day, controls our lives.  Watch this video from Michael Moore (I know, I know, don't judge).
http://www.traileraddict.com/clip/untitled-michael-moore/derivative
And that's just one bumbling man who actually works in the business.  Our financial future is controlled by math that the vast majority of people do not understand.  That ignorance trickles down to our daily lives as well.  Ask a grade twelve student about compound interest, listen to their answer, and then realize that in a year or two they will have a credit card.   When you read statistics like the average Canadian carries $3500 in credit card debt, it becomes a worrying proposition.

So what's the solution?  How do we make math relevant, and how do you teach some math that is kinda just "trust me, this is really important... someday."

I don't know.

1 comment:

  1. that is the most commonly asked question, and I have actually said your exact words... "trust me, this is important.." except I added it's important for you to succeed next year!!! That works for my academic students but I totally agree with your problem that getting students realize how important math is, is a real everyday challenge. I tackle it each year with whatever students I have, this year I had a lot of farm kids and tried to steer my lessons, or at least the hook to the lesson towards farming....that seemed to work??

    ReplyDelete