Monday, September 30, 2013

Access to Mathematics E- Learning Resources

Through my ABQ Math class I learned about Ontario E-learning resources at HTTP://resources.elearningontario.ca/d2l/home. I was very excited and spent many days exploring the database of very use full and student enriching activities and lesson plans that are very impressive. In my excitement I wrote to the Ontario Ministry Of Education E-Learning contact person asking for access to this remarkable source of information. Besides being informed that it is only for provincially funded school systems, I was also told that “Teachers and students in private schools are not deemed to be eligible users.” At this point a question kept flashing in my mind "Should knowledge be only accessible to “eligible users” or all Canadian Taxpaying Citizens should be allowed to access this resource.” Should teachers and students of private schools and students who are home-schooled, be allowed to benefit from Mathematics E-Learning resources such as available at OERB? I believe that all taxpaying Canadian Citizens should be allowed access to knowledge especially children and youth as they are very important members who contribute to strengthen their communities that they grow up in. No matter which school system they go to, the common goal is to educate our next generation of Canadians. I would like to initiate an intellectual discussion, if as educators we agree or disagree to this approach.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you one hundred percent. I am beginning to teach at a private school at the end of this month and was hoping to use some ressources that I have learned about this course and that people have shared. Knowing this frustrates me beyond belief as I have completed the same education as teachers within publically funded schools and am, like you said, a tax-paying Canadian as every other teacher is as well. An opportunity arose for me to teach in a private school before that of a public school which should not mean that I am exempt from teaching resources to enrich the education of my students. I will be teaching Physics and agree with you that the resources that are available through E-learning remarkable and would advance their understanding of otherwise difficult topics immensely. I think that resources should be available with the number given to us at registration of our OCT and by request of home school teachers, no resources should be withheld if it is to advance the future of our country, our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in complete agreement that these resources should be available to all teachers. I love the idea of access being determined by OCT number rather than by the school system. While I agree that it is a loss to teachers to not have these resources, I feel it is truly unfair to the students. Students who are home-schooled, and attend private schools, are required to comply with Ministry of Education guidelines and curriculum, so why should they not have access to the same resources. Just because a school, or parent, chooses to take a slightly different instructional approach does not mean they should be excluded from these benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of any reason to limit these resources to provincially funded districts. I can understand having to agree not to sell anything. You can't expect to profit off someone elses ideas. And I agree with giving credit to the original source. But why limit it to approved users?

    ReplyDelete