Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Mathematics and TeacherTube - Using Videos for Learning


I came across this video when I was on YouTube and I cannot get the song out of my head so I thought I would share. It is a really catchy, upbeat song that emphasizes all the different ways we use and interact with math in our regular lives.
I think part of the reason I really enjoy it is because it speaks directly to two things I attempt to incorporate into my teaching. I enjoy using videos, songs, games, and any number of different approaches to materials to catch and keep student engagement in learning. I am also a huge fan of making learning relevant to students in any way I can, again to maintain their engagement in learning, and I have found connecting the classroom learning to the 'real world' is a very effective way to do this.
This video also led me to discover the TeacherTube Math channel on YouTube. This channel has a ton of videos directly related to math and to teaching math. They also have a main website that addresses many other subjects and teaching areas, TeacherTube. A lot of their videos address specific math concepts and different ways to approach them, but they also have many more that fall into the same category as the original video I posted - little hooks that will help engage students in their learning. Videos such as Mrs Wilsons Integer Cheer or Score are class created that you can show students for interest and engagement or as an example when challenging students to create their own math and learning video.

No comments:

Post a Comment