Thursday, June 18, 2015

But, where am I going to use this?

In the profession of teaching, one of the most common question we come across from students is that “Where am I going to use what I learnt in the class today?” And in the field of mathematics this question becomes more challenging to answer as to where students would use concepts like quadratic equation and vertical asymptote in their real life. While researching about ways one can incorporate application of mathematics in the learning goal itself, I came across a video that provides an excellent example of using application of mathematical concept to enhance the overall learning experience.

2 comments:

  1. While teaching, it is always common to hear, "Why are we doing this?.....I'm never going to use this in the future" and that is why I love this video because it is a great example of how important Math is to everyday life! I would like to show this to one of my classes someday !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's probably one of my favourite questions students ask. Students have a hard time understanding how they can transfer what they're doing in school into their real life. That is why it's so important to create questions that are in a context that they can directly relate to. You would be surprised if you actually sat down and thought about how much mathematics we use that we've learned from school. For instance, I'm always calculating the discounts on merchandise when purchasing clothes to see how I can get the best deal as well as at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete