Thursday, November 2, 2017

Growth Mindset and Math



I came across this video, I really liked it because it explains how all students can learn math at any level they want to.


I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Growth Mindset theory, I've posted a chart below but basically it tells us that everyone has a mindset about their own learning beliefs and potential. People with a growth mindset believe anyone can learn and grow their mind through practice and hardwork. Those who do not share this mindset, having a fixed mindset, believe people are either smart or not and you cannot change who you are.

 


A little cheesy at times, but it is a great motivational video. It focuses on these main points:

  • Making mistakes is okay, even helps you learn
  • Speed is not important, take you time 
  • Most importantly, math is not about memorization, it is visual and creative

2 comments:

  1. I like this Andi. We know the benefit of showing and discussing something like this in class. On an emotional level, I feel students get a sense of comfort from a teacher who shows things like this in class. It's easy to get caught up in our teaching practice, but this type of video and conversation can provoke thoughts in students' head like "this teacher genuinely cares about my success". Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andi,
    Great post. I took a course in undergrad that focused around growth mindset vs fixed mindset. I strongly believe in the growth mindset and also believe this has to do with critical thinking too. Shadi makes a great statement too with provoking the thought in students that this teacher cares about my success. I think this also relates to open vs closed questioning and the success and deeper understanding that open questioning can bring for students.
    Thanks
    Vince

    ReplyDelete