Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Why do I need to learn math?

Why do I Need To Learn 
Math?

                         

I have been a secondary school teacher, teaching for eighteen years, I recently started teaching math and have fully learned to appreciate it as well as learned to enjoy it!  

My students always ask the same question  "Sir why do we need to do this? Or what is the point of even learning math?" Just to let you know its more then telling them there will be a test on it in the future. So when I begin teaching a math course I always show this YouTube video I found that explains why in fact you should be learning math. It show students that math is everywhere and that taking math opens a lot of doors in the future for careers.  It also tells them that math is for everyone if you hang in there the reward of solving a problem and understanding is amazing.  

I know as math teachers we need to teach curriculum but I think it is important to inspire our students to let them know why they are learning it. To motivate them to want to learn, to love learning.  To let them know it is a challenge and that we grow from making mistakes and learn from them! 

Let them see you love what you do, share your passion! 

This video is great for any high school math class as an introduction to your course. Here is the link to the video I was talking about:

https://youtu.be/90wFGf534ao


No comments:

Post a Comment