Sunday, August 5, 2018

Math Prodigy - Thoughts??


Math Prodigy website link

Although not as common in high school, I have heard the game 'Math Prodigy' thrown around a lot by students and teachers! I myself have had no experience with the game (I just created an account out of curiosity today) but it has me thinking if it could be an effective tool for 'gap filling' for Intermediate (Applied/LD classes) as well as math tutoring outside the classroom, such as fun homework practice since it is linked with Ontario math curriculum from Grade 1-8. Has anyone had any experience with Math Prodigy and could share some thoughts?

What I liked about the video on the Prodigy home page is that like many other online websites, Prodigy allows you as the teacher to monitor student progress to see how well students are grasping concepts broken down by topic. It also allows you to create your own assignments for students which is a neat feature I never knew about! There are also virtual manipulatives and you can choose to use Ontario math curriculum or Prodigy math curriculum (whatever that may be). Lastly, it's so multifaceted - from being able to see feedback from students, use it as formative assessment and a neat differentiation tool. Plus... it's a game! I'm assuming that's part of the reason why student's get hooked on it. Would love to hear what you think about it since it seems like it would be a worthy tool, but would like to hear any first hand experiences with it first. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have seen math prodigy be used in the early elementary grades, where students have access to chromebooks. All the students create accounts and usually will play this game during math warm up, or even sometimes free time. I have had students say to me they finished all their work and if they could play math prodigy? I have had plenty of experience with it as an occasioanl teacher. Usually the classroom teadcher will have chromebooks already signed up for a period of the day where students can play math prodigy.

    I think it's a good game because you are practicing math curriculum concepts. As you progress through the game, the questions are always appropriate as they are based on your skill level. It offers a nice break from rudimentary arithmetic paper and pencil days.

    ReplyDelete