Thursday, November 8, 2018

Making Algebraic Thinking Visible

Making Algebraic Thinking Visible
This clever problem would be an excellent way to lead student's into a dialogue about using different methods to solve a problem.  Further, it has an accessible entry where visually a student may be able to deduce the height of the table and it allows other student's to reason algebraically with multiple variables.  This could be used in an elementary class as an intro the algebraic inquiry, yet it could also be used as a "minds on" exploration in the senior grades before demonstrating how to solve equations with more than one variable.  Overall, it is a gripping challenge and would allow the students to engage in mathematical dialogic investigation.



Watch the video below by Presh Talwalker at Mind Your Decisions to see two methods to solve this problem.  It could also be solved using bar modelling from Singapore's Primary Mathematics program. 

6 comments:

  1. What a great problem! As a math teacher I see linear systems, but the second method is much more simple. I will have to try this in my own classroom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was simply blown away by the algebraic result. To be honest, I did not know how to do the problem. The visual actually confused me, but the algebra made sense. However, I would have to focus on this problem to make sense of why it makes sense. I don't see how subtracting the cats and the turtles should give you the correct answer. Algebraically, those would be numbers and it would be easy to solve. It is amazing this is what is learned in elementary schools in China. Thank you for sharing.
    Kasia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that was a pretty cool visual representation. It really goes to show the different multiple intelligences in the way that people think. I solved it through guess and check, which was laborious. This video reminded me very much of another that dealt with solving quadratic equations which I'll link below. My method of 'guess and check' that I just used is the same thing that this mathematician was able to eliminate from standard quadratics.

    Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=78&v=ZBalWWHYFQc&feature=emb_title

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had a lot of success with doing minds on activities in my classroom. It helps to get students thinking and curious before lessons even begin! What I found valuable about this video is that there are multiple methods to solve this problem. This can emphasize within a math classroom that there is often more than one way to arrive at an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This activity is great! I love the visual representation and how it allows students to connect what they're learning to the real world. I also really love how it encourages students to think outside the box, using different strategies that they can come up with on their own, developing their critical thinking skills. I can definitely see myself using this activity in my class as a minds on/review activity! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete