Sunday, May 20, 2012

Math CAMPPP 2011








In the summer of 2011 I had the privilege of attending Math CAMPPP at the Nottawasaga Inn in Alliston, Ontario. This was an all-expenses paid professional development workshop running from August 15th through to August 19th. I was immersed into an invigorating week of math. Now, for some this may seem like a strange way to spend a week of summer vacation and I can understand why, but this week turned out to be fantastic. Arriving on August 15th with a very good friend of mine to a lovely resort started the week off on the right foot.

We spent a portion of everyday in plenary sessions (all campers) where we had the following guest speakers: Marian Small, Amy Lin, Ruth Beatty, and Cathy Bruce. The other portion of the day was spent working in breakout groups that were split by grade level: K-4, 3-6, 5-8, 7-10, and 9-12. I was in the grade 9-12 breakout sessions because at that time I had been teaching secondary more than anything else. During the breakout sessions we had the opportunity to meet teachers from all over Ontario, learn from them and their ideas, as well as, build new friendships. It was nice to work with other teachers teaching the same grade levels and sharing our ideas.
Breakout Group
This was a great experience and even though it was a long week the amount of resources and knowledge I gained was unlike any other professional development I have been a part of.

In addition, the food was amazing, we had a bon fire, played beach volleyball, were able to enjoy the resorts pool and hot tub, and I am sure if either my friend or I were golfers we could have enjoyed a round of golf as well. In some ways it felt like a mini vacation!

If you would like to join in the summer fun for 2012 here's the link: http://www.edugains.ca/resources/PulseoftheProvince/CAMPPP2012/Registration_MathCAMPPP_2012.pdf.  You don't want to miss it! :)


Where's Waldo?

No comments:

Post a Comment