Thursday, October 9, 2014

Take math into the real world

This last module we spent a lot of time focusing on math tools that could be used in the classroom to enhance learning and engagement. Let's face it, in modern society the majority of people cannot function without some sort of electronic device. As discussed through recent threads, why not, as teachers, be the ones to show or students how to effectively use technology in school to deepen their understanding and appreciation for mathematics in the world around them. As 21st century learners, our students need math to go beyond paper and pencil work. In my mathematics classrooms, I challenge my students to bring forth apps that they find useful to math in the real world. One app that I thought I would share with you is called iCamera Protractor (featured on edutopia) which allows you to measure angles of any object with the same amount of ease as snapping a picture. Take a look at the link for iCamera and see what you think.
Why not challenge your students to take their cell phones out of the classroom and explore angles within the school? What a great way to show them that angles are everywhere. As an extension raise the discussion with your students about where this app would be useful (i.e. jobs, hobbies, etc.). Students love discovering that mathematics will in fact be used after the graduate, it places such value in what they are learning. It is time for teachers to not only embrace technology but show students how to use it to their benefit.
For other great mathematics apps, visit edutopia.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a great idea! I use my ipad all the time in my classroom and I didnt know this existed. I am just starting the grade 10 optics unit in my science classroom, with my applied students, and it involves measuring angles of different light sources, I will definitely be checking this out!

    I visited the website, edutopia, and although it is directed for more junior classes, I think two of them would be great for my applied students. Kids always have a hard time setting up graphs on graph paper, I think the idea of using the ipad is great; they can erase and rewrite and not really worry about making a mistake.

    I also think my students would really benefit from using the MathTerms glossary; for tests I normally let my applied kids use a glossary or terms that they have created to help them complete their tests. Its a good skill for them to get used to read through information and try to decipher an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristine I love your Blog! I just looked at ur link at edutopia and saw the link for Monica Burns posts and videos. WOW!! many great apps she introduced. I love the Educreations and Whiteboardlite and the rest of the apps are great! I can't wait to download those and try them in my classroom! THis is an area I am working to improve as use my classroom now. Thanks again for the great Blog and links :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too believe we as teachers need to show students that math exists all around us. Students can become more engaged and their retention can improve if they feel what they are learning has a real world application. It is a great idea to have students put their cell phones to use in their school day to do something related to class. Often I hear educators complaining about cell phones in the classroom because students are using them for social media and are distracted from the class. I teach science and try to have my students used their phones as often as I can for research or to record observations for lab activities. Once students have an electronic copy of their findings it is easily shared with the class.

    ReplyDelete