Monday, October 20, 2014

The Math in Poetry

One of my favourite strategies to use when writing poems is to try to incorporate mathematics terms, formulas, and theories into the story, image, or moment I'm presenting in my poem. This comes from a deep love for mathematics and calculations, and I am not the only poet who expresses her or his love or fascination for math in this way. Take this poem "Burial" by Robert McAlmon for example where he uses mathematical principles to explore his understanding of life and death:

Burial 

by Robert McAlmon1895 - 1956

Geometry is a perfect religion, 
Axiom after axiom:
One proves a way into infinity
And logic makes obeisance at command. 

Outside of the triangle, cubes, and polystructures 
There is restless pummeling, pounding and taunting. 
The end is diffused into channels
Every step into eternity—and steps are endless.

There's even an entire movement of poetry devoted to applying mathematical principles to poetry in order to explore the potential of poetry within specific restraints and formulas: OULIPO. For example, you might create a new poem by applying n+7 (i.e. replacing every noun in the poem with the noun that comes seven entries after it in the dictionary). 
 In my own attempts to connect math and poetry, I incorporated poetry into my grade 7 teaching practicum by asking students to create concrete poetry (where the image/placement of the words is as essential to the meaning of the poem as the words themselves) that demonstrates knowledge of translations, reflections, and rotations. Here's an example of one student's work (that I thought showed nice understanding of the concept):
 Lastly, I think Slate has a very good idea right here. I am completely embracing this next April.


1 comment:

  1. Julie, this is a beautiful mix of numbers and words that I had never thought of before... I love it!! What a way to connect with and develop the mathematics skills of students who love English. Once I started looking into the idea, the resources and information on math in poetry was overwhelming. I found this link
    http://www.mathforgrownups.com/the-math-of-poetry-yep-theres-a-connection/
    that offered insight into the connections between the two relating to patterns, symbols and symmetry. I cannot wait to try out these ideas with my students! Thank you for the information and opening my eyes to a new way of looking at mathematics.

    ReplyDelete