Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Mathematics Question Amazes the Internet

Mathematics Question Amazes the Internet Christina Whates
In a society that is primarily dominated by social media it really isn't surprising when something goofy or phenomenal becomes viral on the internet, but the article below does surprise me. A couple months ago (see problem below) a Singapore (grade 5) math question flooded the internet with questions of how, what, why and the most common, WHAT IS THE ANSWER? I stumbled upon it myself and became stumped. I was actually flabbergasted at how difficult the problem was for me to solve. I guess my real question is does our curriculum lack the ability to build our problem solving skills? People questioned whether the problem was really too difficult or the mere fact that maybe we need to sharpen up our problem solving skills. The article states that statistics show that students from Singapore score significantly higher than any other country in mathematics, but what does that say for us Canadians? Should we be doing something different too? I'm not sure what the answers are to these questions, but I can't lie I was pretty impressed that grade 5 students can solve problems like the one below.
http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/04/the-math-question-that-went-viral/390411/

No comments:

Post a Comment