Friday, May 12, 2017

BEDMAS: Defeating a Dragon with Math

Hi everyone!

I was scrolling through the TED-Ed YouTube channel (which has great videos on so many topics!) when I came across this little gem! I've used TED-Ed videos as introductions to new units in my classes before, and the students love them! They get enough information to gain a little insight as to what they will be learning, but with fun animations and short and sweet explanations to keep them interested. I find that they're also a great way to wake up students and give them a chance to settle into class before the lesson actually starts, That way, they're ready to learn by the time the video is done!

This particular video is a cute introduction to BEDMAS (or PEDMAS, p for parentheses, as they use in the video), showing students how the operations work together to take down Puff, the Magic Digit Dragon. Watch it below! 


TED-Ed also has some great logic/math "riddles" in video form that I used with my students for "Fun Friday" every week during placements. They absolutely loved them! And I loved them because it got the wheels turning and their brains working before I got to the meat and potatoes of the lesson.Enjoy the video, and the many ore on this channel!

Cheers, 

Victoria

2 comments:

  1. Hi Victoria,

    This is a really fun cartoon. I think that this would be a great way to introduce students to BEDMAS for the first time. Sometimes the simplest fun things when used as lesson "hooks" will draw students into the lesson. Something like this would definitely grip the attention of students and have them invested in the lessons that are being taught.

    Great Find!
    Dante

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria,
    You post reminded me of this website http://mathcatcher.irmacs.sfu.ca/stories

    It focuses on introducing math concepts through First Nation storytelling. Another 'hook' to draw students into their learning.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete