Monday, June 5, 2017

Using humour in math

I am a huge fan of puns and jokes, I also believe humour is a great way to make connections with your students. I will see different math jokes pop up on Twitter, Instagram,
and Facebook and it got me thinking...

Image result for math humor


First it would be a fun Minds On activity to show them and ask them to explain the humour. Another activity that could be effective would be having students try to create their own jokes or puns based on learning in the classroom. Anyway here are a couple of my favourites and let me know if you think this idea would work!

Image result for math humorImage result for math humorImage result for math humor

4 comments:

  1. Love the humour posts. These would be a great hook for the start of lessons with your students. Students can also be encouraged to come up with their own humour poster and then have different days dedicated to different students. I feel like we would be surprised and this would be a huge interest to many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the humour posts. These would be a great hook for the start of lessons with your students. Students can also be encouraged to come up with their own humour poster and then have different days dedicated to different students. I feel like we would be surprised and this would be a huge interest to many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! (Especially the dance sequences!)
    I think this is a fabulous way to engage minds and activate learning and perhaps prior knowledge. This could also be a great project for students, just as Emily suggested. You could also use this as a form of assessment using the categories. In your tests, you could have a question with a pun that requires the student to solve using the knowledge category, a question along with a pun that requires the student to use the application process and the last question requires the student to create their own pun perhaps with certain requirements that has a relation to that unit. It would make for a "punny" assessment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! I have used some 'memes' in my math class before, and my students absolutely loved them! I like the idea of using them as a hook or in a test. I will have to think about how best to incorporate these into my Intermediate classroom!

    ReplyDelete