Friday, December 1, 2017

Math isn't hard, it's a language!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6yixyiJcos

This is a great TedTalk that talks about improving the amount of high school graduating students who are proficient in math. It talks about how math is actually a language, but we teach it in the most dehumanized manner, within many of our curriculums. It is a great video that shows us how we can teach math in a way, where students will understand the concepts and more importantly, what the question is asking of them. Using real world examples and relating math to the knowledge of their real life is one of the major keys to helping students become more proficient in mathematics. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Fatema,
    Great post and find. I actually found this for our TEDtalk show and tell assignment too. I thought it was very interesting and I can see how beneficial it truly can be! I agree it will definitely make math more interesting using those real world examples which in turn will help students become more proficient and successful in mathemtaics. I can't wait to try this technique to see how the students react to it and if it is as beneficial as I think it will be.
    Thanks
    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    I love this TedTalk, It contributes to making math very meaningful for the student. Using real world problems are so important. Thanks for sharing :) I really enjoyed this!

    Cheers,
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete