Thursday, December 7, 2017

Technology, Use it, Don’t depend on it

I know the title to this blog post might be confusing some of you but I assure you it will make sense as you continue to read. I am a strong believer to incorporating technology into the classroom. I believe there are many pro’s for it however I also believe that there are quite a few con’s and therefore DO NOT DEPEND ON TECHNOLOGY. 
http://www.voxco.com/company/blog/technology-the-biggest-challenge-facing-research-says-grit-report/

First off on an overall note, technology is great, it allows students and teachers to remain in contact through applications like google classroom or remind. It also allows teachers to use different techniques to help students understand the content (gizmos, desmos, youtube, and etc.). In a mathematics setting I think it is helpful for students to be able to explore using geometric softwares, gizmos and watch youtube videos while completing homework to understand something that they are confused about. I also think it makes learning interesting for students. This is why I encourage the use of technology into the classroom. Now as to why is say don’t depend on it. My reasoning behind this is because first off technology can crash. I have been in many situations where I plan to use a powerpoint and it isn’t loading or the wifi is down, or google classroom isn’t working properly and therefore I need to have another option prepared in case this happens. If you depend on technology then when a situation arises you would have a back up or know what to do next and you will waste a period of student learning. Another problem for technology is that it can be distracting if not used properly and therefore constant circulation is important. Lastly, technology in certain situations takes time out of a lesson. Students turn on the laptops and one of them is dead, turns on the other and it is completing a configuration. By this point class is half way done. Therefore have option B; for example if the class is supposed to complete a gizmo print copies of the student exploration sheet so that they can start to work on it while their computer is loading if they are having difficulties with technology. Always be prepared for any situation that could arise to maximize student learning. Thus I am going to say it again, integrate technology, use technology in the classroom it is beneficial for student learning albeit, DON’T DEPEND ON IT or else you may be like this guy: 
http://www.techcrates.com/troubleshooting-tips-pc-crashing/

Cheers,

Vince 

1 comment:

  1. This raises a really good point! The world we live in revolves around technology but we need to depend on the best computer we have which is our brain. Having technology in the classroom is a great asset but shouldn't be what our lessons revolve around. I am in an ABQ math class right now and it has been discussed with my peers and it is very interesting seeing other teacher perspectives!

    ReplyDelete