Monday, August 4, 2014

Math + Music = Awesome

Unless you have been living under a rock you have seen a musical math video. Teachers from all over the world who possess even the slightest bit of musical fines have posted a mathematical parody to various pop hits. Here are a short list of some of my favourites:
Math is fun 
Solve me Maybe  ( this is a cool collaboration between a few different high schools, on their youtube page they have so many different songs WSHSMath)
Colin Dodds- Pythagorean Theorem

I personally think that these math videos are great, not only do the students get a real kick out of seeing their teachers performing like they are on Canadian Idol, students are learning key pieces of information. Especially if the tunes of the songs are taken from popular music that the students are interested in.

Some teachers have even created assessments where students are asked to create their own songs based on a curriculum topic. This is a great differentiated instruction strategy that students will love!

So what do you think, would you incorporate music into your classrooms? Have you used music before? I am interested to hear everyone's opinion on this.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Lina,
    I actually teach Grade 7/8 math and language and well as Grade 5-8 music with my Grade 7/8s using instruments. It is truly amazing how much music connects to math and I really do believe that playing music makes you smarter. Students always notice connections when we are working on rhythm and time signature. They need to know note values and time signatures (which relate nicely to fractions) and they have to use their math skills to figure out beats in a bar and when working with dotted rhythms. It is great to teach both and be able to relate the two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea. I have never seen these videos but I think that it is a great way to get the students involved. During my practicum this year, the students I taught wanted to participate in air bands and new music trends were always a topic of conversation. I think that having students create their own songs that apply to various math concepts is a good way to help them remember because they are able to use a catchy and familiar tune. I will use this strategy in my future classes!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete