Monday, May 30, 2016

A Pintermediate Classroom


A Pintermediate Classroom:

(Pinterest in the Intermediate Classroom)

Coming from an elementary school background, I have come to rely on fun and engaging ways to teach and have students 'do' math. Having hands-on and active math classes has worked tremendously well in my elementary and junior classrooms. One particular source for finding engaging and relevant activities, colourful and meaningful chart ideas, as well as many other teacher resources, has been Pinterest.

At first, I thought that students in an intermediate classroom were too old for this colourful, hands-on learning. Were they still interested in playing with manipulatives and having interesting colourful posters on their walls? Well, just today in the staff room a coworker noted that her son’s grade ten classroom was very ‘grey’ - the walls, the charts, the blackboard with white chalk, everything was monotone. She said he feels "tired" in class and that it's all just so "boring" - his words, not mine. This got me thinking, and the more I think about it, and the more I search Pinterest, the more I come to know that intermediate students need this splash of colour on the walls and fun in their math classes too!

I resolved right then that I would find at least five fun things on Pinterest that I could use in my intermediate classroom that would be relevant, engaging, colourful, and useful :)

Here are my five picks. Have you found any great posts on Pinterest??


Stained Glass Windows for Linear Relations!
I might add colour, but the idea is great!
Students already know which number goes where on the clock.
This just reinforces it :)


Who doesn't love a good #hashtag?

I will forever think of Selfie's differently now!

I don't think interactive notebooks ever go out of style ;)

 

2 comments:

  1. I love pinterest. There are so many great resources you can gather and purchase. One of my favourite activities I saw was an activity exploring linear systems of equations found here

    https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/MM-Linear-Systems-of-Equations-Activity-415816

    Students get a chance to explore real life perspective on systems using M&M's. How great is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AWESOME! I too work at the elementary level (Grade 8) and it's so hard to know what is too "babyish" for them. I found this when looking for journal prompts in math class. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/367395282082357978/
    and I started a challenge of the day it's in a pocket folder on the wall and it's optional. The kids love it though and at this point they are challenging each other and no longer caring that their peers will see that they did something wrong it's FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete