Saturday, May 7, 2016

Using Exit Cards in Math


Using exit cards in my math classes has been very beneficial for both the students and myself. They help me become aware of my students understanding of concepts, and act as quick assessment tools after a lesson. Most importantly, they help guide my instruction because I get a quick glimpse of where the students are excelling, and what needs review, or perhaps, to be presented in a different light. For many, exit cards stop there. I like to take them a step further. I have a variety of phrases on the cards, all of great value, but the two I really focus on are Something I learned to do very well is.., and Something that gives me difficulty is…” After I collect them, I photocopy them and I organize them on a chart paper. At the top of the chart paper I group all of the Something I learned to do very well cards. I then sub-group them according to the specific concept grasped, highlighting the key concept. At the bottom of the chart, I display all the Something that gives me difficulty cards, again highlighting the key concepts and grouping the like ones together. Now, that these are displayed, they serve as assessment tools for myself, and reference cards for the students. Students can see who in the class clearly understood a key concept that they themselves may have struggled with, and ask for peer assistance. I too can take a small group of students who struggled with a particular concept and review it with them. One example of this was when I taught a unit on Surface Area and Volume. Through the exit cards I found that students  felt they were successfully able to substitute values to determine volume of rectangular prisms. A number of them found difficulty working backwards to determine the height of a prism when given the volume, length and width. A handful of students stated that found difficulty finding the surface area of irregular shaped prisms. By grouping their exit cards I was able to work with small groups based on their needs. Some of the students who did not want to join the group simply looked at the chart to find an exit card of a peer that they felt comfortable working with who understood the concept they struggled with.

 

The exit cards can be used across all math strands, and grade curriculum expectations. Teachers and students have complementary responsibilities. It is important for teachers to use a variety of instruction, assessment, and evaluation strategies in order to provide students opportunities to develop their ability to solve problems, reason mathematically and connect math to the world around them. Students, especially the older ones, have a responsibility to be committed to learning which requires an appropriate degree of work and study. Using the exit cards supports student learning and teacher instruction, but most importantly, they give students the ability to write about their mathematical learning, hopefully helping them develop better attitudes and confidence towards mathematics. If they believe that they are capable of finding solutions, they develop greater willingness to persist, to investigate, to reason and explore solutions. The exit cards show them that it is ok to be both successful, and to struggle, and that many students in the class may be struggling with a concept like them, but that together they can work through it.

3 comments:

  1. As a volunteer in a grade 7/8 class I get to spend a lot of time walking around the classroom and seeing what the students are working on or stuck on. I have noticed that several of them will be stuck on a math problem for quite some time but will not put their hand up in order to signal to the teacher that they are having trouble. The benefit of me being there as a volunteer is that I do have the time to move around the classroom and notice these things. However, most teacher do not have this time so most of the time they will not find out that a student has been struggling with a topic all along until some type of assessment occurs. While this is by no means a complete failure, it is certainly more beneficial to address struggles and challenged the moment that they occur so that subsequent lessons do not become a struggle themselves.

    In an ideal world, all students would admit when they do not understand something instead of just going with what everyone else says, but as teachers we know that this is not the case. It seems however that you have found a perfect solution to this problem! While I do believe that the process of going through the exit cards and grouping them based on specific strengths and struggles, then later going over already taught topics once again does seem time consuming, it is worth it.

    As teachers we must teach in a variety of methods so that all (or at least almost all) students understand a topic. However, when some students do not understand something, moving past it anyways is not the best method. We must be patient and guide our students through their difficulties in order to help them all succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like exit cards. I se "entrance cards" everyday in my placement. It allows me time to get organized as I move rooms between periods, but also allows me to see whether students understood what we did the day before. One of the teachers I am working this showed me this video, and even though I have not used this "technique" with them yet, I do plan on using it in the future. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rulmok_9HVs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only an excellent post, but also filled with excellent examples of formative assessment. It is very important to collect data from our students to help determine what the class has learned and what are some areas of weakness that need to be addressed. This will allow a teacher to constantly change their teaching to align with the needs of the class. There is no such thing as a formative assessment, just assessments being used formatively. This is very apparent with how you organize and post student exit cards. This is a great way to get some assessment as learning to take place by promoting both self and peer assessment to occur. Here are some other Lesson Closure Strategies that a teacher can use in their class to change things up. Enjoy!

    http://k12edresources.com/?p=229

    ReplyDelete