Tuesday, May 8, 2018

So I am Nervous About Teaching Math, Please Help!

So here I am.

I am in an intermediate math course aiming to teaching high school level math.  As mentioned in my last post I am going to my senior level math after this.  I am very nervous.

"Why?!" you may ask.  Well, I haven't taught high school level students.

See, I did my teachers college degree in primary/junior.  This means that all my teaching experience was in those ages.  I did do an alternative practicum (practicum with no teaching) at a high school but I did not get any teaching experience.

So here is the issue: I am nervous about teaching high school students and I am nervous about not finding enough resources to teach math!


Image result for worried gif

Firstly, I feel like teaching younger students is easier in the way that they are young that I don't get nervous speaking in front of them.  High school students on the other hand are older and I am worried that they can more maturely judge my lessons (like an associate teacher)...I mean I have heard that they don't and I am overthinking this but, is that the case?

Secondly, I have done all my teaching in primary/junior levels as mentioned before.

So I think I will just have to teach in front of high school students to get over that but, with the resource thing I have a plan!!!!

I created a Google Docs link:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LS07NLGjWD8gDHDK_fppd-4Bth0lbeUFSZnGHo42PEQ/edit?usp=sharing

Please help my journey and add some good resources/websites you have!  Feel free to watch it aswell to get some new ideas for you.

Thanks,

Maksym Cord

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maksym,
    It is not easy to step in to a high school level after teaching elementary for quite a while. However, as a teacher you should expect the unexpected and you have to accept the challenges. The important thing is to get adapted to a certain routine in order to keep up with all the resources. Make sure you are certain about the level of understanding of the materials or else the students will lose credentials on your information. As every teacher you should be friendly with the students but firm. There might be a challenge at the beginning on how to make your classroom interesting and the materials fun until students get adapted into your way. Therefore, it is challenging but it is a brave step you made

    ReplyDelete