Saturday, May 12, 2018

So I am Nervous About Teaching Math, Please Help!

So if you know math these days, you almost certainly know Khan Academy (https://www.khanacademy.org/).

Image result for Khan academy

I am sure the usual reason people end up there is because you are a student and you have a math test tomorrow.

"How do you know!?" you may ask, "Your not a scientist!" you say.

"You're right." I say while crossing my arms, a smile growing on my face.

Image result for pleased

Well that situation was me in high school/university though I was more of an early bird when it came to studying for my test.  So although my test was not "tomorrow", I still needed a new way of learning a math concept that my teacher was not providing me.  His was of explaining it while showing it through the video and my option to replay it many times was a life saver.  It helped me do well on many tests.

More recently, for my intermediate math ABQ I was tasked with doing a bunch of practice sessions for 15 different lessons where I had to solve 5 questions in a row with no mistakes, for each lesson!  So, I have been finishing up teachers college and away from my math books for a little and man have I forgotten a lot of things that students go through in math, it was such a throwback seeing all of these questions I used to do.  Some of them I forgot how to solve and I was worried I wouldn't be able to get a perfect score on these questions.

Enter Khan.  After each mistake a video suggestion would pop up asking if I wanted to watch it to help solve the question.  So I did and the videos were always spot on.  They reminded and taught my exactly what I needed to know.  They made math fun.

I think this is such a great resource for teachers, learners, parents or anyone interested in math!

What're your experiences with Khan Academy?

Thank Khan,

Maksym Cord

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post Maksym! Unfortunately I don't think I ever used Khan Academy in high school because I was not aware of how great it really was! However, I would have really benefited from being able to use it. I remember hearing the words "Khan Academy" back in my high school math class but I never had anyone show me all the features that it really has. I just thought it was a bunch of boring videos. You can't just tell students to "go onto Khan Academy if you need extra help"... you need to actually SHOW the students in class all the cool features that Khan has so that they will remember it as more than a boring old math site.

    I also had the experience of completing the Khan practice sessions for the math ABQ and absolutely loved it! It was an excellent way to practice math questions. Best of all, if you got a question wrong it actually linked you to the video or lesson that you could find the answer in. That was great! In contrast, if you get stuck on a textbook question, you're on your own and don't know how to find the right answer.

    ReplyDelete