Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Why I want to teach math

I have been an educator for four years now and have been lucky enough to have packed in a tonne of experience in that amount of time. I recently switched panels from Elementary to Secondary; my teaching record consists of 4 different elementary schools and 2 highschools. For all you mathies out there, that is 6 different schools.

In my Elementary days, I was lucky enough to teach in a grade 7 homeroom consistently. I have always loved math, (Aside: my teachables are Art and French), to me it was like another language that the whole world understood. I loved the logic of it and the straightforwardness, right or wrong, you followed the steps, or you didn't. 

However, now, as an educator I see that Math isn't just black and white. It is still a language to be learned and used, but it is not simply about getting the right answer. Math is much more about the thinking the reasoning, the rationale behind each move. Often, I feel like solving a math problem is like tackling a puzzle (And who doesn't love a good Sudoku).

Anyway, I had never intended on teaching math, being inclined towards the arts as I went off to university. Recently, I found myself falling back in love with it when I had to teach my grade 7s. It became my favourite subject to teach and I would pour my creativity into coming up with ways to get my students involved. 

Moving to secondary, I have now been out of the math room for nearly a year (save for when I get the chance to supply in a math room!). I had an eye opening experience when I had the opportunity to do a short LTO in an Art of Math Classroom (post on that to come later); it was a whole new way to look at things.

I believe that the future of education will move towards blending subjects and focusing on how the big ideas in various curricula overlap and I cannot wait to be a part of it!


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting!
    Basically, you have two different experiences and now you can clearly distinguish about the math levels of elementary and secondary. Based on your experience, do you think it is necessary to have specialty teacher teaching the subject rather than homeroom teacher? why or why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on my experience I see a lot of value in having a specialty teacher. When I was in Elementary, I was often having to learn about some material only just before I would have to deliver it to the class. It was extremely challenging having to learn about and simultaneously prep several different subjects at once neither of which I had much background knowledge of. In highschool, if a student asks me a deeper thinking question I can give them a rich answer. I am also more of an expert in my fields so I feel I can do a lot more with the curriculum.

      Delete
  3. Great post! I really enjoyed the part at the end about the future of education moving towards blending subjects. I completely agree with that statement! Why do we have to have such a divide between the subjects? Some of the most rewarding lessons I have taught is when I incorporated drama into the science classroom, or art into the math classroom. By engaging in a more interdisciplinary study, you are deepening the knowledge that students gain by allowing them to make connections between different areas of knowledge.

    Throughout teachers college I took my International Baccalaureate AQ courses and one aspect of the IB Program that I really enjoyed was the huge focus that it has on interdisciplinary study. Especially in the PYP (Primary) and MYP (Middle) programs, there is a huge push towards interdisciplinary learning and a belief that bringing together concepts or methods from two or more different disciplines will allow students to reach a depth of knowledge that would not have been possible through a single discipline. If you are interested check out this page I found on the IB website about interdisciplinary learning: https://www.ibo.org/programmes/middle-years-programme/curriculum/interdisciplinary/

    ReplyDelete