Monday, May 20, 2013

Now and Then

I am not that old, but I am old enough to know that people who grew up before me, long before me, turned out to be just fine. They were told that if they didn't earn a passing grade, they would fail. Not only would they fail, but they would suffer the consequences from the teacher first, and then even worse consequences at home. Nowadays, parents are on the side of the student, however, I believe that failure is crucial to success. When me and my elders were growing up,  if we failed at something,  we had to try harder next time, or fail again. If a student fails at something today, it's never their fault. It's never their fault they didn't study, it's the teacher's fault for some reason or another which, to a certain extent, is true, but where do we, as teachers, draw the line?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/news-video/video-edmonton-teacher-fired-for-giving-out-zeros-to-students/article4547746/ - A teacher who did what he believed was right for the student suffered consequences

I understand that we want to keep these students on a social timeline, but what is the point if we just push them through to stay on that timeline when, academically, they are extremely far behind? What are we really setting these kids up for ? I spoke earlier of the non-existent deadlines in elementary school to emphasize that  when students get to secondary school and encounter deadlines, they don't know how to handle them. I believe this system adds to mental illness issues (ex. depression, anxiety) because a student has never failed, so, therefore, they haven't been able to develop proper coping strategies which lead to these illnesses. A student fails, then they get depressed that they failed (even though they've done the same type of work that we have programmed into them for their 9 years in elementary school). Eventually, if and when they recover from that, they are very anxious to do the work because they are scared to feel depressed again if they fail. Then, you get behaviour issues because the student knows that if they act out, they'll be relieved of the Math duties that are required. I had a student in my grade 5 placement last year that did not hand in 1 assignment for my entire time there teaching their unit on measurement. I was shocked when I was informed by the teacher that the student has until the end of the year to hand things in.  Really, what is stopping a kid from just saying no - has anyone ever have a student just tell you flat out NO!? and then back it up with, I know you can't fail me... I know this is an extreme view, but I believe we have to do something about it because at the end of the day, we are in the education sector in order to help people get the most out of themselves, are we really doing that with the procedures that are in place now? We have to get all students to be productive members in society.

3 comments:

  1. Michael, I would have to agree with you. I too feel that we have gone too far in the other direction. Many students nowadays are not learning responsibility because they do not have technically have to meet deadlines for anything. While they're in the school system it seems to work out just fine for them, but what happens when they get to university or college, or the reality of the working world where deadlines are rarely extended and nobody cares what excuses you have for missing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, this is a discussion I have with my colleague's all the time. We are failing our students by not failing them. They expect everything to come easy to them. Why? Teachers are told they are to except late assignments, or if students miss and fail a test they can right it again. We are definitely not teaching them responsibility. So when this generation heads off to University/college, and then into the workplace their habits will never change nor will they be motivated to strive for excellence, because they never hard to work hard.

      Delete
  2. I want to comment on the timeline comment that you made. I have seen many students get pushed through the grades, because it will damage their psyche if they fail, or whatever the reason is behind not keeping students back. But honestly, what is more damaging to their self-esteem; having to hang out with a group of kids a year younger than them, or being in grade 8 and not knowing how to read? Then the vicious cycle begins: they can't read, so they stop caring because they think they'll never be able to catch up, then they don't try to learn how to read, then they stop caring, etc etc. It's such a nasty cycle. I think it takes one teacher to put in that extra effort, and one parent to put an end to this. I have a friend who's younger brother was IEP'd all through school, and he really did work so hard to do well in school, but quite frankly he wasn't getting the proper attention at school. His parents finally had enough of it, and they pulled him from his school and enrolled him in a private school, and in the process, kept him back a year. The kid is flourishing! His teacher gave him extra attention, he's no longer on the IEP, he's made his improvements socially, and he's getting great grades (without any modifications or accommodations). Now of course not everyone can afford to send their children to private school, but this is evidence that it took concerned parents and a caring teacher for this child to succeed. I get really heated on this issue because I think that too many people are in the teaching profession for the wrong reasons. If a student needs extra help, it's your job to give him extra help (within reason, of course).

    ReplyDelete