Saturday, May 18, 2013

Standardized Testing: The Pros and Cons

This is a topic that has always interested me as a teacher.  I used to be totally against standardized testing for many of the reasons mentioned in the video (see link below).  Then I spent some time teaching in Alberta where all grade 12 students have to write diploma exams for every credit they earn, and my opinion totally changed.  Although I still see drawbacks, I now began to see some benefits.  For example, it really made teachers accountable and prevented marks from being "pulled from the sky" or "inflated" for certain students.  I also feel that teachers could use the results to improve their teaching practice if they chose to do so.  When the results came in, I remember sitting down with my department head to go over the results.  The final mark for each of my students from my class was next to the mark that each of my students scored on their diploma exam.  Another column showed their final mark overall (which was 50% my mark and 50% diploma).  The results also showed areas that students either struggled or did well in.  So, a teacher could look at it and think, "I need to improve my organic chemistry unit.  Students didn't seem to get it." My students didn't think it was fair that they were competing to get into university against students in other provinces who didn't have to write the tests, but in some ways, I feel that my students in Alberta were better for it.
The video below is from 2011, but the information is still relevant and I think as teachers we should be talking more about EQAO testing.  My concern is: are we using these assessments to improve our best practices and ultimately student learning?  If we are spending 30 million for this test, why are we trying to use the results for more than ranking schools?  I'd love to hear what people think!  The video is a little dry, but informative. 

Check out the link:

http://tvoparents.tvo.org/video/166157/standardized-testing-pros-and-cons

4 comments:

  1. This is a highly debated topic with, as you highlighted, valid arguments on both sides. I took a course not too long ago where in our discussions on the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of standardized testing, NCLB (No Child Left Behind) became a major example. I believe that NCLB made a major impact on education in the United States and the outcomes/repercussions from this act should be studied as an indicator of value of standardized testing. The internet is full of articles discussing the merits of NCLB, however one that seems balance and that I would recommend is: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/10/education/no-child-left-behind-does-it-work.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to hear how Alberta used the standardized test. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but are teachers allowed to use EQAO results as part of their own breakdown of grades? I have tutored several students who have their EQAO worth 10% of their final mark, but I've always thought that they weren't allowed to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you are allowed to use EQAO results as part of a student's course mark. It is usually between 5 adn 10% and is decided my the math dept chairperson as they like consistency among the teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh okay! Thanks for that clarification... I don't know why I ever thought that they weren't allowed! haha

    ReplyDelete