Thursday, July 11, 2013

Math Hooks


We all know that the key to effective classroom management is student engagement.  How do we engage them?  With hooks and relevant material.  I have found that youtube is a wonderful resource for hooks.  Below is a collection of quick videos, suited to our curriculum, which will get the students minds on and excited about the lesson. 

School of Rock – The math song

Simpsons – Triangles

Who Wants To Be a Millionaire – When not knowing square numbers costs you

Family Guy – Variables

Big Bang Theory – Rate of Speed

Big Bang Theory – I like this one just for some laughs

South Park – Algebra

Top Gear – Ratios

Basketball shots – Parabolas

3 comments:

  1. I could not agree with you MORE....if students aren't listening it doesn't matter what you say they are not going to take it in...it may take 5-10 minutes to watch and discuss, but it will be the best spent 5-10 minutes of the whole class because it will get them listening and can almost act as a minds on activity.

    I love the variety that you posted I have copied and pasted them into a document so I can have them for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your list of resources you posted for using as a hook. It's a great way to obtain student attention and interest. You can even use some of them to review some concepts. For example, I liked your mention of the Math song in school of Rock. If you are musically talented or just can say the words to the song (like me) you can use the song and ask students questions related to the topic you have just learned about. The Simpsons clip is really funny and it's a great way to show students that everyone can make mistakes. What the most interesting thing I got from this blog is that, it is a great way to show students how math is visible in the world around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting...and keeping kids' attention isn't always easy. These hooks are great tools to incorporate into lessons. I, too, have copied the list.

    Another good hook that I have found is sharing a controversial story from the news. Gets them thinking, it is real and makes them see perspectives.

    ReplyDelete