Wednesday, July 3, 2013

One Direction in Math? What?

I was walking down the street and I saw One Direction on the other side of the road. They were approximately 30 m far away and were about to leave in a couple of minutes! If I ride my bike at a speed of 4 km/hour, How long will it take me to reach them?



That was obviously a hypothetical question. But notice  what I did there.Did you notice yet? YES, I used a teenage lover band (ONE DIRECTION) in my Math problem. Do you think the students smiled? What was going through their head? In my opinion relevancy is key, and using artists and pop stars that students like, is very important as they can relate to that stuff more than a boring Math problem. Can you use this strategy in English, History, or Politics class? Not so much! Math teachers have a great advantage of making up Math problems with any characters they want including pop stars and their very own students. Students tend to understand concepts more effectively when you use their interests and when they can relate to the information. 

Minakshi Sharma

3 comments:

  1. I love this example. I always try and keep relevant examples in my lessons, and I will even put problems like this into my test. I will know when students get there because there will normally be a class-wide chuckle. I must disagree on one point however. I personally believe that you CAN use relevant examples in all departments. I have used pop-bands in Phys Ed class and had students make a dance to a new pop song. I have also used examples in Science where a famous actor house has been wired improperly and the students must come to their rescue and fix it using their knowledge of electricity. Keeping your material fresh is critical to student engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minakshi, Simple but very effective idea. Although the students may not realize it, but they will take more interest into a question that they can relate to. I always try to stay up to date with whatever students are interested in so I can relate to them more. I often do this through general talking in school but more important through student journals. Students need to be engaged and what better way than to give them something they really know in their present life.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minaskhi, I really like your example. I totally agree with you on the importance of using topics students are interested in to help them relate to the topic. I have used such examples, to catch the students interest. I feel that the person you talk about doesnt even need to be famous. It can be done with even using the teacher as an example. Students find it very interesting to know teachers have a similar outside of school.I have seen music being used in DPA alot and students respond to it very quickly when they can relate to them. This similar technique can be used in math.
    Great question.

    ReplyDelete