Thursday, June 5, 2014

Science Fair Anyone?

I remember DREADING science fair when I was younger.  All the kids had to do a project, I could never think of a topic I liked, I didn't really understand what to do, and my dad got WAY too involved for it to be enjoyable (I think everyone knew I was being helped when I came to school with a project on Electromagnetism ha ha).  Doing an OAC independent study in Chemistry brought that anxiety back.  Biology was more enjoyable though...

So what about the other sciences??  Isn't Math a science too?  Why do Math students only get to write Math contests to compete for prestigious spots to be the engineering elite (for example)?

Check out the Canadian Mathematical Society's Math Projects for Science Fairs

A message from the society's president (late 90's) has this message:


This message is the prologue to several pages with the topics such as Numbers, Scheduling, Games, etc.  You may want to mention this in your math classes next time Science Fair rolls around.  It could get an award just for being unique!

No comments:

Post a Comment