Monday, June 2, 2014

Math Jokes or Thoughts of the Day

I know many teacher's who put up little riddles, brainteasers or thoughts of the day to engage their students when they walk into the classroom.  Here's a great site that could give us a lot of material to do this in a math classroom. 

http://www.math.utah.edu/~cherk/mathjokes.html

This is my favourite one:

Top ten excuses for not doing homework:
  • I accidentally divided by zero and my paper burst into flames.
  • Isaac Newton's birthday.
  • I could only get arbitrarily close to my textbook. I couldn't actually reach it.
  • I have the proof, but there isn't room to write it in this margin.
  • I was watching the World Series and got tied up trying to prove that it converged.
  • I have a solar powered calculator and it was cloudy.
  • I locked the paper in my trunk but a four-dimensional dog got in and ate it.
  • I couldn't figure out whether i am the square of negative one or i is the square root of negative one.
  • I took time out to snack on a doughnut and a cup of coffee.
  • I spent the rest of the night trying to figure which one to dunk.
  • I could have sworn I put the homework inside a Klein bottle, but this morning I couldn't find it.
    • Warning! It is against the rule to use these excuses in my classes! A. Ch.

3 comments:

  1. Lynn,
    Thanks for the link. Somedays a little bit of humour is just what keeps me going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! The groans and the eye-rolling that result when you pop a bad math joke just never get old.

    Try this link for some picture-based math jokes (comics, funny captions...)

    http://memebase.cheezburger.com/puns/tag/math

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Lynn. I used little jokes everyday to open up my chemistry lessons and the kids always got a good laugh, either at me or the jokes. :)

    ReplyDelete