Saturday, May 31, 2014

Helping a friend with Math

Today as I sat for my pedicure (forgive me, I was supposed to be doing my homework! Report cards are due soon) my manicurist's son was upset. His mother thought that math was just facts and that to do "math homework" it should be worksheets with drill and kill questions. Martin tried to explain to his mom that math was much more than that. (He is in grade 5). He explained to her that the thinking games on a math site that look like computer games, is in fact practicing math. I pulled out my iPad and had him work on the app Dragon Box (ok, I've said it before, I love this game!)When I told Martin to play it, He was adament that it was NOT a video game (as he was grounded)! She agreed when I explained the algebraic connection of isolating the variable -- the box alone on one side and he played and got to the third chapter before I was finished! I told her that I would help her explore more math and science "games" on the web for the summer! Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. You could always suggest to her to check out PBS or TVO (is it still called that?)...the public channels for the U.S. and Ontario. Always educational, and I know the sites cater to kids...I just haven't actually explored it myself so she may have to be selective because of his age (I assume they have a lot of learning to read & beginner math). Hope that helps!!

    ReplyDelete