Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I came across this video which tries to explain how order of operations is wrong. While there were some things he said in the video that I really disagreed with (i.e., addition always comes before subtraction), I think that his main point is quite valid. Too often, we focus too much on teaching students the "rules" they need to follow in order to get the correct answer, rather than teaching them the reasoning behind those rules, or explaining why the rule works. But that doesn't mean we should be teaching them the wrong rules!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=y9h1oqv21Vs#!

2 comments:

  1. I came across this video before and thought about it for a bit. I really think it is very important to teach students the reasoning behind the rules to ensure an accurate understanding.
    It had some point when changing the order which I really think most students still have. I think we have to find a better way to clarify the rule to to make it make sense that students can grasp easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched the video, and while I get what he is saying about "knowing the reasoning behind the math," I still think many students need to have something concrete to 'follow' in order to get from A to B in the first place.

    When I was taught about BEDMAS (he calls it 'PEDMAS') whomever I first learned it from stressed that Div/Mult were to be done in the order in which they appeared in the problem, (like addition/sub.) but did not have to be done D before M...or A before S...
    I think part of the problem with a 'set of rules,' is also not explaining them properly. I could see how the person in the video could be frustrated, but I think if used properly, and acronym like that is another good 'tool,' that can be helpful to many (as in the case where many of us have discussed technology is only as beneficial as it is well used....)

    Nevertheless an interesting clip.

    ReplyDelete