Thursday, May 16, 2013

Kahn Academy

Many of us have been introduced to Kahn Academy before and I think this is a great tool for teachers to use.  One thing that I have just found was that Kahn Academy has its own YouTube channel.  This is something that I would definately make my students aware of because it gives them a lesson similar to the one the teacher offers, yet they can watch it at any time.  Sometimes students miss a class or have bad days or other things on their mind and they may not be completely focused on the lesson.  By being able to access Kahn Academy, they can get similar benefits of sitting through a lesson by watching these videos at home.  Thus, I really think that teachers should be promoting Kahn Academy's YouTube channel.  I have placed the link below for everyone to check it out.  Hope you find this useful.

http://www.youtube.com/user/khanacademy

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you wrote this post because ever since I have been introduced to the Khan Academy website a few weeks ago, I have been recommending it to my students. As an occasional teacher, I move between grades and subjects a lot, yet no matter where I find myself, I notice that the videos and exercises the Khan Academy offers applies to the lessons students are learning. For example, as early as yesterday, I recommended the website to a grade 10 credit recovery student to help him complete his unit packages at home, and before that to a grade 6 student struggling with fractions. Whether or not you agree with the website's teaching style, philosophy, or approach, it is still a helpful resource that students can access 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over the past month my son has missed a few math lessons on fractions and telling time (grade 3)...I didn't have his math text book and it was time to study, so I signed him up at Kahn Academy (as a student on my account) and plugged him into the exercises. He ended up getting almost perfect on his tests...and they were areas he was struggling with before - woo hoo! He also enjoys earning his leaves and badges, so they've really figured out the student motivation thing!

    ReplyDelete