Sunday, May 12, 2013

Math Notes dont have to be Boring!

      ]
Math journals http://www.mathsquad.com/mathjournal.html



I remember taking notes all throughout elementary and secondary school and each teacher had a special order they wanted them but they were all the same just note taking from the board. I found this site where a teacher had given a final assignment the opportunity to the students to create or re write their notes in a creative fashion that relates more to their personality. I thought this was an amazing idea making notes that I will want to look back at and study from and what will make it easier for me to learn and remember.

As a Math teacher I opened this opportunity up to my students they loved it come students made treasure maps using all the formulas and different units done throughout the year. Some students made stories out of the information and some even made programs with the information the used it all to what meant the most to them and they would be able to remember the best. Students all learn differently and math may not be their strength but that does not mean they can not be successful in it, as teachers it is our duty to link math as much as possible to each student as we can. This fun to make and to read the results, its a great tool for review as well for the final of the year.

Hope this help with future teachings!

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a really great idea! It allows those students who don't really like math to tie it to another subject that they do enjoy, and they might even have fun. It also makes review a bit more interesting for the students. I'm sure it could even work with other subjects, too. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started doing most of my math notes on Prezi or PowerPoint. I have told the students that they do not need to copy the note (they can get a copy of the note before or after) and in order for them not to copy they have to listen and participate. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Especially now I find that students have worse penmanship and it takes them so long to write and they can type so much faster, and it also links with pictures and designs. :)

    ReplyDelete