Monday, May 13, 2013

Ontario students struggling in math

While Ontario students across the grades have seen improved scores in reading and writing, math skills in the elementary grades either stayed the same or decreased, according to EQAO results released Wednesday.
The Education Quality and Accountability Office released the results of last year’s provincial assessments of reading, writing and mathematics for primary and junior divisions and Grade 9 mathematics Tuesday.
The results show comparisons to 2007-2008 scores of the percentage of students meeting or exceeding the provincial standard. Both reading and writing scores for Grade 3 students increased: from 61 per cent to 66 per cent of students meeting or exceeding the requirements for reading and from 66 per cent to 76 per cent in writing.
Grade 6 students also showed improvements in reading and writing, with both scores sitting at around 75 per cent of students meeting provincial standards.
Mathematics, however, appeared to be the weak spot for both elementary school students and Grade 9 students in the applied stream.
The percentage of students at or above the provincial level remained the same at 68 per cent in Grade 3 mathematics and decreased from 61 per cent to 58 per cent in Grade 6 mathematics.
While the per cent of Grade 9 students making the grade in mathematics did increase, the EQAO pointed out that less than half of students in the applied stream (44 per cent) are meeting provincial standards in math.
“In this day and age, solid mathematics skills are crucial to success in all facets of life. The lack of progress in mathematics achievement, particularly at the elementary level, where strong foundations should be established, is concerning,” said Dr. Brian Desbiens, chair of EQAO’s board of directors.
“On both provincial and international tests, our elementary students are showing average achievement in mathematics. They risk falling behind their international peers if, as a province, we don’t address this issue with a focused sense of urgency.”
Marguerite Jackson, EQAO’s chief executive officer pointed to an increased focus on literacy achievement as a factor in the results, saying the same kind of attention needs to be placed on math skills as well.
On Sept. 12, EQAO will be releasing the results for individual schools and school boards across the province, as well as reports for each elementary school on the progress their students made from Grade 3 to Grade 6.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2258060-ontario-students-struggling-in-math/

9 comments:

  1. I think the topic of EQAO is a touchy one in many ways. Teachers across the province are against EQAO testing for many reasons. I think EQAO does not look at the individual student and that there are many factors that go into education.

    I scored EQAO literacy tests a few years ago. It was quite an experience. I was in a room with hundreds of other teachers (and non teachers) scoring the tests. I felt like a robot and really there was not much thinking that went into marking. We all had the same criteria and were asked to be uniform in our marking. It was a great experience and at the same time something I am not too interested in going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the same experience that John has had with scoring EQAO tests. In terms of standardized testing there are two main approaches: 1) teachers who teach the test, 2) teachers who teach the skills the test is assessing. While both approaches are seemingly good methods, the hidden factor here is that this test is merely a method in which the education system gains leverage to make changes and ask for more money versus the how the government can justify how much money it puts into education.
    While I have no facts to back up my opinion, it's pretty obvious from anyone who steps back and really sees what revolves around EQAO testing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think EQAO is pretty stressing time for teachers and students. Teachers rush the lessons to cover the required mateials without going back to the basic needs of students and being sensitive to their indivitual needs. I have been placed in grade three where students had so much difficulty grsping the concepts and the teacher continue with new lessons to cover materials. I really think we should care more of our students' learnings than rushing to cover as much materials as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I understand the theory behind standardized testing, I have to say I don't agree with it. I wrote my SAT back in high school, and quite frankly my score meant nothing to me. It's not about what you know, it's about knowing how to write the test. I think the EQAO testing is similar. A lot of emphasis is placed on the scores of the EQAO, but really what do the scores mean??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna I agree i think that standardized tests do not say anything about a students ability to learn or how intelligent it tells you how well students are able to take test and may not have anxiety to take tests. Personally I have never been a good tester because I get nervous and flustered and over think things but it is no that I do not know the content, because I am able to speak about it, I just simply get stressed when given the 100 questions and a time constrain and on top of it I cannt take tests longer then an hour and a half because my mind will wonder because of the bordem... I told you I was the problem child :) But look at me now I was able to get my masters and I am becoming a teacher I think that standardize tests simply try to tell the government over all were we are but really can be demotivating to teachers and students when you see the results. I know many teachers that teach to the teach such tests like the EQAO and only concentrate on that and the students do well but they so not really know what they are answering or why the students are more like robots to find the similar questions and answer them the same, what are we really teaching our students then, but the teacher looks great !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if there is a way that we can make part of the EQAO oral? I find that oral tests really show if a student understands something. It might up the cost of the EQAO but it could be a decent alternative? If the EQAO is THAT necessary, maybe there's something the government can do to tweak it a little bit to make the results more meaningful?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now it is the time for students to write EQAO test and my impression that Math is going to be again a weak spot when elementary school students and grade 9 students will struggle as usual. Working with Tutor Doctors I have noticed this category of students struggle with basic math concepts that they should have gotten in previous classes. The question is that assessing students is an ongoing process. My impression is that some teacher don’t pay too much attention while students are writing quizzes and tests to identify what is missed and have them review the sections that created the gap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. USCA Academy’s math tutor provide advanced learning, tutoring, individual attention, support and results to school and university level students in Mississauga.
    Math Tutor Mississauga

    ReplyDelete