Friday, May 10, 2013

Making Math Fun(ny)

Hello All,
I always try to start my math class with a quick joke or a comic, I find it helps to lighten the mood and it is even better if I am able to find some comics that relate to what I am teaching (i.e.a trig joke while I am teaching a lesson on trigonometry).  I know that math is not everyone’s cup of tea so finding some humour can help ease the math anxiety and at least put a smile on a student's face.  Below are a few of the jokes and comics that I have found from simple google searches.  I try to start with “math comics” but will sometimes resort to “math triangle comic” or something more focussed.  I have compiled a few over the last while, so here are some of my favourites.  I should note that I did not create any of these, they were all found on the internet  at https://www.google.ca/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi


 
 




7 comments:

  1. I like that. It is really fun and engage students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I think I may print some and post them in my classroom. Laughter is definitely a great way to release nervous energy at the beginning of a class that can be a very stressful situation for some students, and all the better if it involves math itself!
    It would be interesting to turn this around and ask the students to create some sort of image or comic strip (using Bitstrips maybe?) that incorporates math into the humour; a different means of using fiction writing in math. Perhaps it could be used as a Math Journal entry, or a fun assignment specific to a unit being studied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph,
    I just had a student do that the other day. While it wasn't creating a comic, he made a joke that I really thought should be made into a comic. I was helping him with factoring at the end, he said, "I guess I have no more Parabolems with factoring" - the whole class, including myself burst out laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great!! I especially like the snakes on a plane one. Thanks for sharing them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea integrating humour into the mathematics classroom.

    When I was in High School my Math Teacher would always draw a picture of 'Matthew' on the board with homework questions. Matthew meant 'Math for You'. It was a bit silly but all the students in the school knew who 'Matthew' was!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin!

    This was great to read through! The most enjoyable educational blog that I have encountered yet! I think that it is great that you begin each class with something like this! You are right, math is not everyone's "thing" so bringing all students to something common, even if that is a laugh or giggle, allows everyone to start on a good foot and on a positive note!

    If I ever get to teach math, I hope to start off with something like this at the beginning of each class as well. In the Chemistry zone, there is already Chemistry Cat who is pretty funny!

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete