Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Ontario's Declining Math Scores

As a teacher I am passionate about providing strong literacy and numeracy education to students. I'm not sure how many teachers reading this are math teachers, but I wanted to discuss an issue that is not only important to me, but to the province of Ontario. That is, Ontario's declining math scores for our elementary students. Though these students are doing better in literacy, they are falling behind in math. 

Why is this? 

Are teachers to blame? Administrators? Lazy students? The curriculum itself? Parents?!?!?

EVERYBODY?!?!

A lot of the blow back falls upon teachers. Sources mention that most math teachers come from an "arts" background and don't have the proper training or qualifications to teach math properly. 

Some believe that it all starts with parents. Parents need to get more involved with their children's math learning. Raise their children to be comfortable with math, and not afraid of it. 

I have provided a few links on different perspective on the matter...

Here, Sanjoy Mahajan explains that their are better ways to teach math. 

Here, Liz Sandals believes that a combined effort is required by teachers and parents in order to keep students engaged in the math classroom. 

Here, Wayne Erdman explains and interesting theory; that the problem is more complex and goes beyond the classroom and into the community. 

I don't really know what the solution is. The issue is a complicated one. Do we just throw more money at teachers to get qualified? Is it a question of motivation? I don't know. Do we cut back on other subjects and make more time for math? Maybe the math curriculum needs an overhaul.

Regardless, this is an important issue and one that we as teachers (math teachers) need to be aware of. 

Let me know your thoughts in the comment section below. 



1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with Wayne Erdman's perspective about it being multiple factors that contribute...socioeconomic, immigration, and attendance, etc. It's kind of funny that at the end he quickly says that attendance isn't as much of a factor at the elementary level!! I don't agree with that statement at all!! In the 3 years I have been at my school, I have had several students with major attendance issues on the verge of failing or eventually needing to be on an IEP, not because they are not capable of doing the work, but because there are huge gaps in their education that get wider as the years go on. Also, a few years ago I remember there was a big push for literary to improve literary skills for EQAO and nothing was done about math. I think this was a huge mistake. Math is extremely important for our daily lives and not just EQAO. It should never be put on the back burner. Just my thoughts. :))

    ReplyDelete