Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Flipped Classroom

There is a new method of teaching that is gaining in popularity over the recent years. This new method is called "Flipped Classroom" or "Flipping the Classroom". The idea behind this is, the students listen or view the teacher's lecture at home (via audio/video...etc), and the in-class time is spent on inquiry based learning, projects, group work, engagement...etc.

The idea of a teacher lecturing to students, and essentially asking "Do you get it? Why don't you get it?!" is losing  its effectiveness. With the Flipped Classroom, students can view lecture material, lessons, and access related resources at home on their own time, and without a teacher breathing down their necks! Students can pause, playback, access additional information...etc. So when they come to class the next day, they can get right into the work or ask for additional help if necessary. The teacher at this point merely acts as a facilitator.

Salman Khan, the creator of the Khan Academy, gives a quick description of what the "Flipped Classroom" is all about.

Now, as with any new concept that is gaining popularity, there are also some cons to this new teaching method. If your interested in hearing some more pros and some cons about "Flipping the Classroom" click here.

In my personal opinion, I think this is a great way to teach a class. Not only math, but any subject. It's refreshing for students and teachers alike. It keeps things interesting. It bestows some independence and responsibility on students; it teaches them to be in control of their own learning.

4 comments:

  1. When I first read about the "Flipped Classroom," I was excited about the opportunity to use blended learning to its full potential! As a teacher who is doing her best to embrace technology and develop online material for my courses, I am interested in trying this techniques in my class.

    As you mentioned, this allows for students to watch the videos MULTIPLE TIMES without the fear that people will judge them, and then come to class with questions and knowledge of the topic/skill. This means that instead of struggling at night with homework, students can complete homework with the supervision of the teacher... which Growing Success suggests should be happening more often in our classrooms.

    One thing that concerns me about this teaching philosophy is that I think that teachers should make some of their OWN videos. While teachers could provide students with other videos to access (like the Khan videos), I think that the videos watched at night should be of THEIR TEACHER teaching the skills. I believe that this helps to strengthen rapport and allows teachers to modify their lesson to their students. In the end, I think that is the ONLY way I would feel comfortable using this techniques in my class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Wyant, I totally agree with you that the videos that teachers show if they are going to use this method of teaching should be their own! You want your students to have confidence in you, and think of you as the expert!

    I would very much like to try this method out when I have my own class. Perhaps not for every lesson, but a least a few times in a unit, I think it would be great, especially as students can learn and review at their own pace. I think as you do more and more year after year, you will create a bank of these videos as well that you can keep going back to.

    I can across this infographic which really helps to explain the flipped classroom for those of you who are visual learners!

    http://www.knewton.com/flipped-classroom/

    Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a fantastic idea. It certainly increases the amount of time spent reinforcing a concept or skill in the classroom with teacher and peer guidance. While I believe that there are many advantages to using the flipped classroom, as with anything, it has its share of potential disadvantages. For example, at my most recent school, I tried to implement more at-home work such as this and had mixed results. The SES of the school zone was quite low and many parents rarely enforced homework rules. It's very difficult for students at the elementary age to take homework initiative outside of the school environment without parental support. I also ran into the problem of many students not having any access to computers at home. I suggested possibly working with a friend at home or visiting the library, but some parents were not supportive of this idea. Another problem that teachers might face with this program is the endless distractions that kids have now at home including tv, video games, social media, phones, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think the idea of Flipped Classroom very interesting. Recently I attended a STAO workshop where the teachers got a chance to learn more about the benefits of this type of teaching. The facilitator fielded a lot questions about students with limited access to technology and students coming to school without viewing the videos for that day's work. As he taught highschool, he suggested developing a contract with the students/parents and having a two strike rule. If the student did not complete the video once, they were given a warning. The second time there was a phone call home immediately to discuss why videos were not being watched. Opportunities for students to access the videos at school were given.
    As these were in reference to highschool students, a bit more responsibility can lie with the student rather than the parent. However, he did say it was a bit of a journey
    to get his entire class on board. Still, I think the pros outweigh the cons in this case. It will take a number of tries to get parents and students acclimated to a new type of classroom however the opportunities for a more engaged classroom of students in very appealing.

    ReplyDelete