Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Where do we go from here?


In researching the EQAO math results and where students have gaps, I found this article from The Globe and Mail  entitled "Ontario unveils $4-million math upgrade plan"
(http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/education/ontario-unveils-4-million-math-upgrade-plan-amid-demands-for-overhaul/article16242302/)

The article brings up some of the positives that come from EQAO test results, such as recognizing and identifying geographic areas of need and possible solutions to some of the issues those areas face. It discusses Ontario's plan to invest in teachers to upgrade their math skills. Personally, I think that it is awesome that the government is investing in teachers and supporting them in pursuing professional growth and development. We are in the front lines everyday and can truly make a difference in the lives of students.

Nevertheless, is further educating teachers the only answer to improving numeracy? Can investing in us change the face of mathematics and student success?

According to this article, there are many others (including myself) that believe that while investing in teachers is a great first step, there are some fundamental issues with our curriculum that need to be addressed before true change and improvement can happen. Is the answer to change the curriculum? To put the focus "on basic math skills and less on discovery or creative strategies"? This second idea was proposed in petitions in both Alberta and British Columbia - and in my opinion has some issues of its own.

In the end, the question comes back to - where are the gaps? What causes them? If we can truly figure that out, then we can find a way to change things; however, as the article mentions "reform cannot happen overnight."

1 comment:

  1. I think its great that part of the government's strategy in improving math scores is reteaching the teachers, or at least giving them the opportunities to do so if they wish. Of course, reforming math education, improving student performance, and closing the gaps is going to take a multi-step approach, but I for one am happy that teachers are part of that approach.

    I am taking this math course because I thought the bursary the government is offering was too good an opportunity to pass up! Even though i had an excellent experience in teacher college in my math class, I am still finding there is so much to learn on this subject. Taking this course is making me aware of various resources that could help me teach that I never knew existed. It is also helping to give me a better footing in the upper levels of math, which in turn is making me less anxious when teaching these subjects. All of these things are making me a better teacher!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete