Monday, July 14, 2014

TOKEN ECONOMY



   Here is another site which explains a concept that I find very interesting. Last year one of my colleagues mentioned this system to me and I did not have a chance to try it fully but I think that it is a great idea. The idea is that you give tokens that are appropriate for the age of the child and they get something for it. It can be used to reinforce some math concepts as well because they can accumulate tokens to get things, just like in the real world. For example if a student does something good he gets a set amount of tokens (like getting paid for a job) then they can buy things like privileges or even things. I think that this is a great way to introduce students to real life finances if developed properly and maintained during the entire school year. 
Thanks again
LouAnn

1 comment:

  1. This would be a great thing to do especially in the younger grades when you are going the unit on money! You can base your money unit around this idea. "How much more do you earn for doing this job versus this job. What things would you need to do in class to earn enough to buy X?" The options are limitless! Thanks for sharing this, I may need to use this!

    ReplyDelete