Thursday, May 8, 2014

"2048" App

The latest craze in the app world is "2048" - the sister app for "threes".
I've noticed all of my students playing it when going out for recess or lunch, so I tried it out on my sisters iPhone when I got home...
The game is a 4 by 4 square, with different numbers in the spaces. Not all are filled as you need the blank spaces to move from side to side. The object is to match the numbers up to create multiples. (2 and 2 becomes a 4, 4 and 4 becomes a 16 and so on) Once you have created a square that adds up to 2048, you have won the game.
Although highly addictive, I can see how it is highly effective because it tests spacial intelligence and mental sets.
Downloading "threes" costs $1.99 on the iPhone, but "2048" is a free app. Give it a try!

3 comments:

  1. This game IS really addictive. I downloaded it half an hour ago and I keep playing it.

    It does seems good for helping to think in a not strictly linear way, always thinking left to right like an equation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa, interesting app/game!

    Can you see any use for this app as a classroom resources?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very addictive game. In the beginning I did not really see the point of the game as I thought it was almost too easy. Fast forward a week later. Completely addicted, and have yet to pass the game.

    I know many people who play this game. I work at a tutoring centre and have come to a conclusion of sorts. People with a strong math background, perform much (significantly) better on the game. I do not quite know/understand why, but by far, all of the math and science tutors have gotten a higher score in comparison to the English and reading tutors. Like Melissa said, the game is simple and you just have to combine tiles to get to higher numbers (eventually to 2048), but for some reason, some people are doing better than others.

    Does anyone have any ideas as to why this may be the case? I am interested to see if anyone else has seen a similar result or why you think this may be happening.

    ReplyDelete