Monday, May 5, 2014

Teaching Math to Students with Dyslexia

Hi Everyone,

I am currently tutoring math to a young girl, "Cindy" with dyslexia. Cindy was so unmotivated and hated doing math. Her parents wanted Cindy to succeed and forced her to spent hours upon hours at home trying to learn math and she hated it! Initially before our tutoring session she would cry because math was so challenging for her. I felt awful, I've never met a student who puts in so much effort and could just not move forward.

Cindy was the first student I tutored with Dyslexia and with Learning Disabilities, and I did everything I could to help her. I did a lot of searching for ideas when teaching math to students with similar needs as Cindy. She frequently flipped numbers and struggled to understand the basics. She did not understand what is was to multiply or divide, for her it was just a button on the calculator.

This guide is great for teachers who encounter a student with dyslexia. It explains pretty well everything you need to know.

I am glad to say after trying many different things, Cindy and I finally found a method which works for her! She is off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment