Thursday, May 15, 2014

Well, yesterday I had my first real introduction to Khan Academy.  I have to say, I really like it.  If you are like me, someone who didn't have trouble with math, but needed some review and tutorials to remember what has long been lost, then Khan could be a great tool.  I really enjoyed how I could visually see the scaffolding of learning, how one topic fed into another.  It was hugely beneficial to receive hints and answers to questions you were struggling on.  I also found that the method of teaching is something that I could definitely benefit from, though I know there are detractors.  Here is an example from Khan Academy of how the topics are represented as part of a web of learning.


2 comments:

  1. And of course, as a person that has been recently introduced to the concept of the "flipped" classsroom (and is falling more and more in love with the idea the more research I do on it), the videos that they provide are perfect for the students to look at at home and be ready for next days class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my first thought when I completed the Khan Academy modules, John. It is a great tool in the flipped classroom, as students can learn the material at home and complete the "homework" questions in class, with help from the teacher and other students.

    It could also be a great tool for studying, as students can complete as many questions as they want to study for a test. They get immediate feedback on whether they were correct or not.

    Finally, it could be used for homework, as the teacher can tell the students that they have to complete a certain module for homework. It is great because students have to make sure they understand the material, because making one mistake makes you have to start all over again. This keeps students from just guessing, because they'll want to make sure they are right before submitting their answer.

    ReplyDelete