Saturday, May 17, 2014

Making Math Fun!

I came across this link when I was looking at the different blogs and had to share. It's a great resource for a variety of math review games. With EQAO and unit tests, these games give students an opportunity to make math fun and more memorable. They are simple games that can be applied to several grades and across all strands.
I remember when I was teaching science to Grade 9's they always got really excited about playing games to review. Math is no different! It's intimidating for a lot of students sometimes and overwhelming to try to remember so many methods, rules and formulas when they sometimes don't even have the foundational math skills. Any opportunity to ensure students can remember and apply the math skills they are learning in a fun and interactive manner will likely increase the chances of them being able to apply the skills.


http://croitz.blogspot.ca/2012/07/made-4-math-3-feeling-lucky.html

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mary,

    I followed the link that is embedded in this blog. The site is comprised of several useful games for math students. These games will take the edge off of learning Math and make concepts that students need to recall via memory for the EQAO more accesible. I will bookmark this URL. Great post and BLOG.

    Regards,


    Jerry Clark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that playing games in the classroom is a great way to review or even to teach some topics. I made a game of Jeopardy in one of my teaching placements as a review before a Geography tests, and the students loved it. It is great, because you can discuss why the answer was right/wrong, and students can learn what types of questions they will see on the test.

    I really like the "I have, Who has" game that is in the link. I have seen it several times now either in this course, or while searching for ideas online during this course. I think that is a great way to engage students and get them thinking and having fun. I really like that all students have to do the question, because they have to figure out if they have the answer or not. This is an advantage over games like Jeopardy, where one student answers the question, and the others just watch.

    ReplyDelete