Thursday, May 15, 2014

Flipped classroom

Why I flipped my classroom
I love this teaching model because allows teachers to spend more one on one time with each student. This requires the students to watch at home teacher created videos.
Some of the benefits of Flipped Classroom are:

  • students can choose their own pace to go through the materials provided.
  • they get involve through activity in classroom instead of listening to a long  lesson presented by the teacher.
  • frees up the lecturers time so more one on one time can be spent with students that needs help.
Some of the drawbacks of the Flipped Classroom are:
  • all the students need to have access to a computer and to Internet.
  • they have to be motivated to go through material provided at home.

And another interesting video to watch : The basics of blended learning



2 comments:

  1. I've not had the chance to actually experience a flipped classroom, myself, but I have had the opportunity to speak with a couple of math teachers who have tried it out. One thing that was mentioned that really convinced me to try this some day was that, since more class time is available for answering questions and helping students, as you mentioned, the teachers were able to do more examples of application, and especially thinking questions. Normally, we don't have time to go over a long thinking question in class because there's just so much else to do. Kids also usually don't have time to get to the harder questions in their homework before the bell rings either. So then they have to take these harder questions home and have to try to figure them out by themselves, without any similar examples. So, I would say this is a huge advantage to the flipped classroom. I also don't really think that motivating students to go through the material at home would be a problem either. Usually, the only homework that students have is to watch the video for the next lesson since they now have plenty of time to finish their practice problems and get their questions answered in class. That's only 10-15 minutes of homework a night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great and simple video to help me understand how to do a flipped classroom in math. As a new teacher, this video gives me insights on how to make the class time more efficient with applications instead of lecturing students. I also like the video talk about how to use flipped classroom to meet all the needs of different students with differentiated instructions. As a teacher, because my students are kind of prepared, I can easily scaffold their learning based on their learning abilities. I can also slip students into different group for group learning and peer tutoring. I am so glad that there is a way to "extend the class time" with the help of flipped classroom. Also this video helps us understand that flipped classroom did not create the lazy teacher. To the opposite, flipped classroom makes teachers busier to challenge students or change other ways of teaching. I like the flipped classroom concept I would like to try it in my own class.

    ReplyDelete